Tuesday, August 6, 2013

+GREEN GODDESS/MONSTER SMOOTHIE FOR BEGINNERS

I didn't put mine in a fancy mason jar or anything, but I promise it's really really good!

So I have decided to start eating cleaner in preparation for my upcoming wedding. Joy. Not really excited about putting the brakes on my Starbucks, donuts, and pasta addiction, but I also want to look great on my big day. So clean eating and working out it is. I even bought a yoga dvd and a Jillian Michaels 6 week abs dvd. Whoa now. Getting crazy over here.

I've seen and heard about this green smoothie craze for a while now, but I've never actually made or tried one. Not sure why, but I guess I just was too lazy to actually blend one up. Too lazy to use a blender? Yes.But I've noticed recently that my morning coffee is not cutting it when it comes to breakfast. I know. Terrible. I wake up and have a cup of coffee and then don't eat anything until lunch. It's really bad and I know it.

Especially with my school schedule about to pick up again in a few weeks, I wanted to start eating something more substantial in the morning to keep me going through lunchtime. Insert green machine, green goddess, green sludge, whatever you call it. I decided to go for it and try out an easy beginner recipe.

I Googled around a bit and found a recipe that was easy and one that I could actually find the ingredients at my local grocery store. I did end up editing the recipe though, to match my desired flavors, but it still was easy to do.

The first blend could have been better. When I drank it I could pick out little pieces of spinach, which at first wasn't weird but by the end I was a little grossed out. The second blend the next day was much better. I made sure to really blend this time and I couldn't even see the specks of spinach anymore. I even made Justin drink a glass with me and he really liked it. Ver niiiice! Mine didn't turn out SUPER green, but I think that's because I had the greek yogurt and orange in there.

I love this recipe and it's totally gotten me on a green smoothie kick. I'm obsessed. For real. I'm Googling all day long for different variations and recipes. I even went to the grocery store today just to buy more green smoothie ingredients.

But I'm excited. I've noticed after I drink them that I feel more energized and I stay full through lunch or the afternoon slump. So I've decided this will be my morning breakfast routine plus some turkey bacon and a cup of coffee. I think that will help me not go nutso during my shifts.

GREEN GODDESS, GREEN MONSTER SMOOTHIE for beginners:

1. A healthy handful (or more) of spinach. I used bagged baby spinach from Albertsons.
2. 8 or so whole frozen strawberries. I got a frozen bag from Albertsons.
3. 1 orange peeled and split up and chunked.
4. 1/2 of a banana peeled and cut up in chunks
5. 1/3 cup of greek yogurt. I used coconut flavored Chobani
6. 1 or more cups of ice

Throw all ingredients in a blender and blend to desired consistency. Then enjoy! Makes two servings or one really big glass. Super easy and super good. You can't taste the spinach and the addition of orange gives it a nice tartness. I can't wait to try more recipes and when I find others that I like I'll post them here!

Share your favorite if you have one please!

No comments:

Post a Comment